Treating Teen Orthodontic Issues with Invisalign®
By Eugene D. Stanislaus on January 05, 2015
Crooked or misaligned teeth can be a major source of self-consciousness. Fortunately, Invisalign® offers a discreet, nearly invisible, option for treating teen orthodontic problems. To learn more about Invisalign® and its benefits for teens, read this overview from Brooklyn cosmetic dentists Eugene D. Stanislaus and Lisa Reid.
What Is Invisalign®?
Invisalign® is an alternative, aesthetically pleasing orthodontic treatment. Invisalign® uses a series of clear, plastic trays to gently reposition the teeth instead of the metal braces used in traditional orthodontic treatment. Each Invisalign® aligning tray is custom made from dental impressions and computer imaging to gradually guide the teeth into the desired position. Aligners can be removed while eating, but must be worn at all other times to allow for proper repositioning of the teeth.
What Issues Can Be Treated with Invisalign®?
Invisalign® was designed to treat a variety of orthodontic issues without the need for noticeable metal braces. The following are some common issues that can be treated with Invisalign®:
- Gapped teeth: Gaps between teeth can develop as a result of the structure of the jawbone or from missing teeth.
- Underbite: An underbite is a condition in which the bottom teeth stick out past the front teeth. It can be caused by missing upper teeth or undergrowth of the upper jaw.
- Overbite: An overbite is when the upper teeth protrude over the lower teeth. Overbite can be a result of jawbone structure or poor oral health.
- Open bite: Open bite can occur as a result of abnormal jawbone growth or chronic thumb sucking. Open bite is when the upper and bottom teeth are unable to touch when the mouth is closed.
- Crossbite: Crossbite refers to lateral misalignment issue of the upper and lower jaw. Crossbite is typically caused by genetics.
- Over crowding: When there isn't enough room within the jaw to fit the teeth, overcrowding may occur. Over crowding leads to crooked teeth and increased risk of tooth decay.
What Benefits Can Teens Expect from Invisalign® Treatment?
Invisalign® is comfortable and unnoticeable, making it a great choice of self-conscious teens. Many teens prefer Invisalign® treatment to traditional orthodontics for a number of reasons, including:
- Discreet: Invisalign's® clear aligning trays are nearly invisible so you can smile with confidence.
- Comfortable: Invisalign® trays are made of smooth plastic, molded to a perfect fit for added comfort.
- Removable: Invisalign® trays can be remove while eating and for brushing and flossing. Invisalign® wearers don't have to worry about avoiding certain foods or getting food caught in their braces.
- Won't cut the mouth like metal braces: Metal braces are notorious for irritating and cutting the inner lip. Invisalign® is made of smooth, comfortable plastic.
Invisalign® Teen offers additional benefits for teenage patients and their parents. First, the aligners have blue compliance indicators. These blue lines fade with use, so parents can tell if their teen is wearing the aligners, and so teens know when to switch out their aligners. Second, teenagers can get up to six free replacement aligners, in case they lose some of their aligner trays.
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about Invisalign®, we invite you to schedule a consultation.
Related to This
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)