Partial dentures can replace multiple missing teeth in your upper or lower jaw. Dr. Lisa Reid is our highly skilled prosthodontist who specializes in denture placement. She can help you experience high-quality, long-lasting results. At Brooklyn Heights Dental® in Brooklyn, NY, we offer a wide range of teeth replacement options, including dentures, dental bridges, and implant-supported options. During a consultation at our practice, we can help you determine a solution that will meet your needs.
About Partial Dentures
When teeth are lost, it is important to replace them. This will not only improve the aesthetics of your smile, but also restore function and prevent further issues from occurring. Crafted from natural-looking acrylic and built around a strong metal framework, a partial denture is a removable oral appliance that fills the gaps in your smile. These devices use special dental clasps to attach to adjacent teeth, keeping them firmly in place. Implant-supported options are also available, depending on the specific needs and goals of the patient.
Who Is a Candidate for Partial Dentures?
Patients who have lost several teeth in more than one area may qualify for a partial denture. The remaining teeth must be uncompromised and healthy. If other teeth are decayed or compromised, you will need to undergo restorative treatments to establish a healthy foundation for the partial denture. After an initial consultation at our practice, our doctors can determine which treatments are necessary to help you achieve a fully restored smile.
Receiving a Partial Denture
If your doctor determines that you are a candidate for a partial denture, she will take impressions of your gums and remaining teeth. These impressions will be sent to our trusted dental lab. A skilled technician will carefully craft your partial denture for optimal fit and comfort. Once your denture is complete, we will schedule you for another office visit. Dr. Reid will place the partial dentures and make any necessary adjustments for a proper fit.
A partial denture fills the gaps in your smile so you can feel self-assured when smiling for photos or speaking to others.
Benefits of Partial Dentures
Partial dentures offer numerous benefits for patients in need of teeth replacement. For example, this oral appliance:
- Prevents shifting: When teeth are missing, the remaining teeth can shift out of place over time. This change in your bite can lead to other serious oral health issues. A partial denture keeps adjacent teeth in their proper positions.
- Promotes even bite distribution: An uneven bite can place excessive pressure on certain areas, leading to discomfort and dental damage. A partial denture can restore the correct balance to your bite.
- Maintains your facial structure: Years of tooth loss can cause the cheeks to have a sunken or hollowed appearance. A partial denture can support your facial features for a more aesthetically pleasing look.
- Improves eating and speaking ability: Patients who are missing teeth often have difficulty chewing and speaking clearly. A partial denture can help you chew properly and speak with complete confidence.
- Prevents temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder: Missing teeth disrupt the balance of your bite, and this forces the jaws to overcompensate in order to make the upper and lower jaws meet comfortably. A partial denture can help you avoid straining the TMJs and developing TMJ disorder.
- Restores self-esteem: Aside from having a negative impact on the function and comfort of your smile, missing teeth can take a toll on your confidence. A partial denture fills the gaps in your smile so you can feel self-assured when smiling for photos or speaking to others.
Learn More about Partial Dentures
If you are missing teeth, a partial denture is a solution that could significantly improve your overall quality of life. To learn more about your teeth replacement options, schedule a consultation at Brooklyn Heights Dental. Contact us online or call us at (718) 857-6639.
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)