Strengthen Damaged Teeth with Dental Crowns
A dental crown is a custom restoration designed to fit over the entire tooth structure. When significant dental damage occurs, crowns at our Brooklyn Heights office can help alleviate discomfort, restore tooth structure, and preserve overall oral health. Our experienced cosmetic and restorative dentist, Dr. Eugene D. Stanislaus, utilizes natural-looking porcelain material to fabricate dental crowns for aesthetically pleasing results. With porcelain dental crowns, you can rest assured that our practice serving Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, and all of New York City will provide you with strong, long-lasting, beautiful results.
If you have one or multiple damaged teeth, or if you would like to explore other cosmetic and restorative dentistry treatments offered at our practice, contact Brooklyn Heights Dental® today. During a visit to our office, Dr. Stanislaus can help you determine if dental crowns are right for you.
About Dental Crowns
When a tooth is chipped or cracked, it becomes susceptible to further damage. Using a fractured tooth to chew, for instance, can result in further cracking and, in some cases, eventual tooth loss. A dental crown is designed to fit directly on top of the whole tooth structure, reducing the risk for further damage. These restorations can effectively reinforce cracked teeth, giving patients a strong biting surface. At our practice serving Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, and surrounding communities, we will carefully assess the affected teeth to establish whether dental crowns will deliver the desired results.
Am I a Candidate for a Dental Crown?
Crowns are incredibly versatile and offer solutions for a number of restorative and cosmetic dental issues. Even better, most patients are qualified to receive this restoration. You may be eligible for a dental crown if you have:
- A cavity that is too large for a dental filling
- A large fracture
- Chips, cracks, or other forms of damage
- A weakened tooth
- A small or misshapen tooth
- Tooth erosion due to bruxism or teeth grinding
- A misaligned bite
Dental crowns are also used to reinforce and strengthen teeth treated with root canal therapy when necessary. Additionally, if you replace a missing tooth with a dental implant, it will be restored with a custom dental crown as well.
Crowns are incredibly versatile and offer solutions for a number of restorative and cosmetic dental issues.
At Brooklyn Heights Dental, our doctors recommend the most conservative treatment available. During an initial consultation at our practice, we can help you determine if a dental crown is the right solution for you.
Placing a Porcelain Dental Crown
At Brooklyn Heights Dental, we offer both traditional and same-day crowns. While these procedures vary slightly in terms of time length, the general steps are the same:
Before beginning the procedure, Dr. Stanislaus will administer local anesthesia to numb the tooth and surrounding tissues for your comfort.
Preparing the Tooth
In order for your new crown to fit properly, small amounts of enamel must be removed from the affected tooth. During this step, any decayed or damaged portions will be removed, as well.
Once the tooth has been adequately prepared, digital impressions will be taken. These high-quality images are then used to create your custom dental crown.
Fabrication of Crown
For a traditional crown, the impressions are sent to a dental laboratory where a technician crafts your restoration. Today, qualifying patients can enjoy the benefits of CEREC® technology. This revolutionary treatment method allows us to craft your crown chairside while you wait. Depending on your unique case, there may be instances in which a lab will make your restoration. However, the majority of patients will be able to receive their custom crown during the same office visit. These options will be discussed with your during a consultation at our office.
Placement of Restoration
Finally, your custom-made crown will be placed over the affected tooth. After evaluating your bite, Dr. Stanislaus will make any necessary adjustments and bond the restoration into place. The result is a beautiful, fully functional smile.
Benefits of Dental Crowns
Dental crowns offer a wide range of functional and aesthetic benefits. For example, these custom restorations can:
- Increase dental function: When a tooth is damaged or decayed, it can have a negative effect on your chewing capability. A dental crown can restore your bite and your function.
- Alleviate discomfort: Sensitivity, inflammation, and toothaches are all byproducts of dental damage. A dental crown can help alleviate these symptoms and make you more comfortable.
- Strengthen a weakened tooth: If a tooth has been weakened through trauma or dental damage, a crown can reinforce the structure and protect it from further injury.
- Reduce excessive wear and tear: Oftentimes, individuals avoid chewing on a decayed or damaged tooth. This transfers excessive pressure to the adjacent teeth. Over time, this can lead to further damage. Restoring a damaged tooth can help balance the bite and prevent these issues.
- Make oral hygiene easier: Brushing or flossing a damaged tooth can be difficult or even painful. A crown can restore your dental health and make oral hygiene a breeze.
- Improve the symmetry of a smile: If a damaged tooth is severely damaged or prominent, a crown can improve your smile’s balance and symmetry for a natural look.
- Enhance your appearance: Because crowns cover the entire tooth structure, they instantly conceal any aesthetic flaws, delivering dramatic results.
Contact Brooklyn Heights Dental for a Porcelain Dental Crowns Consultation
We serve Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, Carroll Gardens, Cobble Hill, Crown Heights, and surrounding communities with exceptional, personalized service. We are dedicated to finding a dental solution that is functional, aesthetic, and completely customized to your smile. If you would like to learn more about the porcelain dental crowns procedure, contact Brooklyn Heights Dental online or by calling (718) 857-6639.
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)