Teeth can become damaged in a number of ways which impact your comfort, threaten your oral health, and simply make you less likely to smile.
The doctors at Brooklyn Heights Dental® can repair your tooth with a traditional or same-day crown made of incredibly lifelike materials.
Why are dental crowns used to repair teeth so often?
Dental Crowns Have Aesthetic & Restorative Applications
Protect & StrengthenWhen significant dental damage occurs, crowns can help alleviate discomfort, restore tooth structure, and preserve overall oral health.
Immediate RestorationMany of our patients will qualify for same-day crowns, which are designed, crafted, and placed over the tooth in just one visit.
How is a tooth prepared for a crown?
Is this treatment option long-lasting?
Tell me more about the specific concerns that crowns can treat...
When a tooth is chipped or cracked, it becomes susceptible to further damage. Using a fractured tooth to chew, for instance, can result in pain, further cracking and, in some cases, eventual tooth loss. A dental crown is designed to fit directly on top of the tooth, reducing the risk of further damage. These restorations can effectively reinforce cracked teeth and address other types of damage, giving patients a strong biting surface.
But am I even eligible for a crown?
Strong FoundationCrowns require a healthy foundation in order to sufficiently protect the tooth. Patients with gum disease will first need to undergo periodontal treatment at our office.
Sufficient Bone TissueFor patients who are missing a tooth, a sufficient amount of healthy bone tissue is necessary to secure a dental implant in the jaw. After healing, a crown can be used to restore the implant.
More Information on Dental Crowns at Our Practice
A dental crown is a custom restoration designed to fit over the entire tooth structure. With porcelain dental crowns, you can rest assured that our practice serving Brooklyn Heights, Fort Greene, and all of New York City will provide you with strong, long-lasting, beautiful results. If you have one or multiple damaged teeth, or if you would like to explore other cosmetic and restorative dentistry treatments offered at our practice, contact Brooklyn Heights Dental® today. During a visit to our office, Dr. Stanislaus can help you determine if dental crowns are right for you.
Crowns are incredibly versatile and offer solutions for a number of restorative and cosmetic dental issues. Even better, most patients are qualified to receive this restoration. Dental crowns are also used to reinforce and strengthen teeth treated with root canal therapy when necessary. Additionally, if you replace a missing tooth with a dental implant, it will be restored with a custom dental crown as well.
Crowns are incredibly versatile and offer solutions for a number of restorative and cosmetic dental issues.
At Brooklyn Heights Dental, our doctors recommend the most conservative treatment available. During an initial consultation at our practice, we can help you determine if a dental crown is the right solution for you.
Placing a Porcelain Dental Crown
At Brooklyn Heights Dental, we offer both traditional and same-day crowns. While these procedures vary slightly in terms of time length, the general steps are the same:
Before beginning the procedure, Dr. Stanislaus will administer local anesthesia to numb the tooth and surrounding tissues for your comfort.
Preparing the Tooth
In order for your new crown to fit properly, small amounts of enamel must be removed from the affected tooth. During this step, any decayed or damaged portions will be removed, as well.
Once the tooth has been adequately prepared, digital impressions will be taken. These high-quality images are then used to create your custom dental crown.
Fabrication of Crown
For a traditional crown, the impressions are sent to a dental laboratory where a technician crafts your restoration. Today, qualifying patients can enjoy the benefits of CEREC® technology. This revolutionary treatment method allows us to craft your crown chairside while you wait. Depending on your unique case, there may be instances in which a lab will make your restoration. However, the majority of patients will be able to receive their custom crown during the same office visit. These options will be discussed with your during a consultation at our office.
Placement of Restoration
Finally, your custom-made crown will be placed over the affected tooth. After evaluating your bite, Dr. Stanislaus will make any necessary adjustments and bond the restoration into place. The result is a beautiful, fully functional smile.
Benefits of Dental Crowns Crowns not only restore function, but can also leave your smile looking brighter and healthier than before.
What Are Same-Day Crowns?
Same-day crowns are dental crowns made from durable, long-lasting ceramic using CEREC technology (Chairside Economical Restoration of Esthetic Ceramics). This machine uses computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) to fabricate a beautifully customized restoration in a single visit. With the introduction of this technology into the dental industry, doctors can help patients save time and money by completing the entire treatment all in one appointment.
With the introduction of this technology into the dental industry, doctors can help patients save time and money by completing the entire treatment all in one appointment.
During the consultation, Dr. Stanislaus or Dr. Reid will perform a thorough examination using digital x-rays and a 3-D scan of your smile to create a customized treatment plan. He or she will then upload the images to the CEREC machine, where the software will analyze your teeth and create a three-dimensional mold of your smile.
Crafting Your Restoration
Based on the mold, the CEREC technology will design your customized same-day crown from a single block of ceramic, color-matched to blend with the natural shade of your teeth. The overall fabrication typically takes just one hour. While waiting, the doctor will prepare your tooth for the restoration. Once this is completed, the doctor will check the fit of the restoration, make any necessary changes, and secure it over the damaged tooth or dental implant.
Our in-house CEREC system allows us to craft and place your dental crown in a single appointment.
Benefits of Crowns
Dental crowns offer a wide range of functional and aesthetic benefits. For example, these custom restorations can:
- Increase dental function: When a tooth is damaged or decayed, it can have a negative effect on your chewing capability. A dental crown can restore your bite and your function.
- Alleviate discomfort: Sensitivity, inflammation, and toothaches are all byproducts of dental damage. A dental crown can help alleviate these symptoms and make you more comfortable.
- Strengthen a weakened tooth: If a tooth has been weakened through trauma or dental damage, a crown can reinforce the structure and protect it from further injury.
- Reduce excessive wear and tear: Oftentimes, individuals avoid chewing on a decayed or damaged tooth. This transfers excessive pressure to the adjacent teeth. Over time, this can lead to further damage. Restoring a damaged tooth can help balance the bite and prevent these issues.
- Make oral hygiene easier: Brushing or flossing a damaged tooth can be difficult or even painful. A crown can restore your dental health and make oral hygiene a breeze.
- Improve the symmetry of a smile: If a damaged tooth is severely damaged or prominent, a crown can improve your smile’s balance and symmetry for a natural look.
- Enhance your appearance: Because crowns cover the entire tooth structure, they instantly conceal any aesthetic flaws, delivering dramatic results.
Advantages of Same-Day Crowns
With CEREC technology, our doctors can now streamline your dental care, offering quicker and more convenient treatment. Having the machinery in-house also allows us to make any adjustments immediately, ensuring a secure and more comfortable fit.
Choosing to restore your smile with a same-day crown offers many benefits, including:
- Affordable dental care, eliminating the need for additional follow-up appointments and temporary crowns
- Quick and more comfortable treatment and recovery
- Avoid temporary crowns and the potential of losing one
- Ultimate precision, since the entire procedure is all done in-house – any changes can be made instantaneously
- Avoid uncomfortable and messy dental impressions
Brooklyn Heights Dental
The team at Brooklyn Heights Dental has been committed to caring for our community's smiles since 1956. Dr. Eugene D. Stanislaus and Dr. Lisa Reid are affiliated with several renowned institutions and organizations, including:
- The Academy of General Dentistry
- International Congress of Oral Implantologists
- International College of Dentists
- The Misch International Implant Institute
To set up an appointment or learn more about our services, call the practice at (718) 857-6639 or contact us online.