Closing Gaps in Your Smile with Dental Bridges
Dental bridges can help individuals attain a beautiful, natural-looking smile after losing one or more teeth in a row. This treatment is a cost-effective alternative to dental implants which restores function and oral health. Our cosmetic and restorative dentist, Dr. Eugene D. Stanislaus, and the entire staff which serves Brooklyn Heights, Fort Green, and surrounding communities, provide dental bridges that are designed to provide long-lasting and reliable results and the most beautiful possible smiles for our patients.
About Dental Bridges
A traditional dental bridge consists of an artificial replacement tooth (pontic) and two dental crowns. The crowns are bonded to the natural adjacent teeth on either side of the gap in your smile and the artificial tooth “bridges” this space. This type of restoration has been used successfully for several decades in dentistry.
Bridges can be crafted from an array of high-quality materials, including metal, ceramic, or zirconia. Most patients choose tooth-colored restorations to blend in with their smile for natural-looking results. Your options can be discussed with you in more detail during a visit at our Brooklyn dental practice.
Exploring Your Candidacy
Dental bridges are an excellent choice for patients missing one or more teeth, but they are not always the most appropriate option. This treatment may be right for you if:
- Your remaining teeth are healthy and strong enough to support a bridge. The natural teeth on either side of the gap will be used to anchor the bridge. Therefore, it is important that these teeth are in good condition. If the long-term prognosis of these teeth is poor or questionable, you may be better suited for dental implants.
- You are seeking a long-term solution. In contrast to dentures, bridges are fixed restorations and can only be removed by your dentist. Therefore, a bridge will look and feel just like your natural teeth. With proper care, a dental bridge can last for several years.
- You do not currently require any other significant dental work. Before a bridge can be placed successfully, patients should be free of decay, gum disease, and other major dental issues. If these problems are present, they must be addressed first to reduce the risk of more complex issues in the future.
It is important to note that patients who are missing most or all of their teeth will typically be better candidates for traditional or implant-supported dentures. During a consultation at our practice, your doctor can discuss your treatment options in detail.
Dental Bridge Treatment Process
Placing a traditional dental bridge requires the alteration of the natural adjacent teeth. To do this, your doctor will administer local anesthesia to keep you comfortable and remove small amounts of enamel from the neighboring teeth. This makes room for your new dental restoration and helps provide the necessary support for long-lasting success. Any decayed or damaged tooth structure will be removed during this step, as well.
Once the teeth are prepared, impressions are taken. These will be used to fabricate your custom dental bridge. Once your new restoration has been crafted, Dr. Stanislaus will bond it into place. Finally, he will assess the fit of your new bridge and make any necessary adjustments. Once it is complete, you can enjoy the benefits of a dazzling, functional smile and a boost in confidence.
Same-Day Bridges with CEREC
Traditionally, bridges are fabricated in a dental laboratory. Therefore, the treatment process often takes two separate office visits, spanning two to three weeks. At Brooklyn Heights Dental, we utilize advanced CEREC® technology which allows for same-day bridge placement.
Same-Day Bridge Placement: How it Works
Instead of taking traditional dental impressions, we will scan your teeth with a digital wand. This device captures thousands of images, then stitches them together to create an accurate representation of your oral anatomy. Once the digital impressions have been taken, the images are uploaded to our computer so that your dentist can design your bridge. The files are then uploaded to our in-office milling machine, which will carve your new bridge out of a solid block of ceramic. This process takes about one hour to complete so that patients can leave our office with a brand-new smile after just a single appointment.
Implant-Supported Dental Bridges
In addition to conventional dental bridges, Dr. Stanislaus also offers implant-supported bridges. These restorations are anchored to dental implants rather than natural teeth. Dental implants are small threaded posts that are surgically embedded into the jawbone to replace missing teeth roots. Implant-supported dental bridges are non-removable and more resilient and longer-lasting than traditional bridges. Dr. Stanislaus can design a bridge to connect to your existing implants or he may place new implants to support your restoration. Implant-supported bridges offer many benefits, including optimal aesthetics, function, and oral health.
Benefits of Dental Bridges
Traditional and implant-supported dental bridges offer several notable advantages compared to alternative teeth replacement options. These restorations can:
- Enhance the aesthetics of your smile
- Provide more support to the facial features
- Correct bite issues and speech problems
- Reduce the risk of decay, gum disease, bone loss, and other significant dental issues
- Restore proper chewing function
- Offer a comfortable solution to tooth loss
- Prevent shifting
- Minimize the risk of TMJ disorder
- Last upwards of 10 years with proper maintenance and care
Customize Dental Bridges to Your Needs
Gaps and spaces in your smile can detract from your overall appearance and compromise your oral health. If you are seeking a replacement for one or more missing teeth, the professionals at Brooklyn Heights Dental® can help you determine if the dental bridges procedure would be right for you. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Eugene D. Stanislaus, contact Brooklyn Heights Dental® today by calling (718) 857-6639.
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)