We Provide Effective Treatment for a Damaged or Cracked Tooth
A cracked tooth can be a cosmetic issue or a painful health issue. Dr. Eugene Stanislaus and Dr. Lisa Reid at Brooklyn Heights Dental® in Brooklyn Heights, NY, will assess each patient’s condition and provide the level of care they need to restore a healthy, beautiful smile. We offer cosmetic treatments, such as dental bonding or porcelain veneers in cases of small cracks and chips. For a more moderate cracks, we can strengthen your tooth with a same-day crown, thanks to our in-house CEREC® system. In cases where the crack is so severe the tooth is irreparable, we can provide a gentle tooth extraction and restore your smile with a number of restorations.
How Does a Cracked Tooth Occur?
There are a number of ways you can crack your teeth. Even though enamel is a strong and durable material, it can begin to wear and tear as we age and become susceptible to small fissures that develop into serious cracks. Habits such as chomping on ice, eating hard candies, biting nails, and chewing on pen caps are all ways to fracture your teeth. Even if you avoid such habits, sports injuries and falls can also inadvertently damage your teeth when you least expect it.
Even though enamel is a strong and durable material, it can begin to wear and tear as we age and become susceptible to small fissures that develop into serious cracks.
Often cracks go unnoticed, especially if you have avoided the dentist for routine dental exams. Small cracks are virtually undetectable to the naked eye, but with x-ray technology, they can immediately be detected. Based on the severity of the damage, our doctors at Brooklyn Heights Dental will find the best and most effective way to treat your cracked tooth.
What Treatments Are Available?
The severity of your crack will depend on the type of restorative treatment recommended. Both of our doctors will work together to ensure you receive the best care possible. Below are the different ways we can treat your damaged tooth.
- Dental Bonding: For an affordable and non-invasive option to repairing a minor crack, we can apply composite resin to the surface of your tooth, tinted to match the natural shade of your smile.
- Porcelain Veneer: This type of restoration provides a thin customized shell, color-matched to seamlessly fit over the surface of your damaged tooth. Although more costly than dental bonding, it provides a more durable hold.
- Same-Day Crown: For cracks too severe for dental bonding or porcelain veneers, we can design a customized porcelain crown using CEREC technology all within the same appointment as your treatment. This restoration offers ultimate precision and resilience.
- Tooth Extraction: While Brooklyn Heights Dental aims to preserve teeth when possible, an extraction may be needed in cases with severe damage. During the procedure, we will numb the tooth and surrounding tissues and gently remove the affected tooth.
- Dental Implant: In cases where a tooth must be removed, we can replace it with an implant-supported crown. During the procedure, Dr. Stanislaus will insert a small titanium post within the jaw to mimic your natural tooth roots. Once you have fully recovered, he will fabricate a customized dental crown and attach it to the implant. Dr. Stanislaus can provide the extraction, dental implant placement, and restoration design all at our office with no referrals to outside specialists.
Restore and Strengthen Your Smile
If you are experiencing dental pain due to a cracked or injured tooth, our doctors can provide personalized treatment to meet your unique needs. Each of our doctors specializes in unique branches of dentistry to ensure our patients receive comprehensive care. Dr. Reid focuses on prosthodontics and offers specific expertise on tooth restorations. Dr. Stanislaus can perform tooth extractions and implant placement. To learn more about the treatments we provide for cracked teeth, please contact the friendly staff at Brooklyn Heights Dental online or by calling (718) 857-6639.
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)