Understanding the Pros and Cons of Invisalign® vs. Braces
If you have crowded or crooked teeth, there are several effective orthodontic treatments to choose that can correct these issues. At Brooklyn Heights Dental®, Dr. Eugene D. Stanislaus or his associate, Dr. Lisa Reid, can explain Invisalign vs. braces. They will also evaluate your current dental alignment to determine the procedure most applicable to your needs. At our Brooklyn Heights, NY, office, we proudly offer innovative Invisalign trays, and we will carefully plan your customized treatment. If you decide on standard braces, we can refer you to a trusted area orthodontist.
Understanding How Braces and Invisalign Work
Both traditional braces and Invisalign operate using the same principles. Both treatments employ constant and gentle pressure to realign teeth, improving both your oral health and your appearance. Traditional braces are comprised of metal brackets connected by a ligature wire. Small rubber bands, or O-rings, hold the wire in place. If you choose this method, your orthodontist will attach the brackets to your teeth and routinely tighten the wire. Over time, the gradually increasing force will cause your teeth to shift.
If you opt for Invisalign, Dr. Stanislaus or Dr. Reid will take impressions of your teeth so that the technicians at a specialized lab can design comfortably fitting aligner trays. You will receive a full series of trays, each one with a slightly different shape to exert a mild pressure on your dental arches. Switching to a new tray approximately every two weeks will progressively straighten your smile.
Which Option Is Right for You?
Both braces and Invisalign can correct a diverse range of orthodontic concerns, including:
- Crooked or overlapping teeth
- Gapped teeth
- An overbite or underbite
- A cross bite
- An open bite
In the past, Invisalign was only considered appropriate for those with slight cosmetic concerns. Today, however, the treatment can address mild to moderate forms of malocclusion, as well. Therefore, your dentist will help you choose a treatment based primarily on your lifestyle and related factors. Because Invisalign can often achieve the same effects as standard braces, your choice in treatment is largely up to you and your personal preferences.
The Advantages of Braces
Metal braces are a popular and proven treatment option. Because they are not removable, they can also be a good choice for children and younger teens. Pediatric patients may forget to wear removable Invisalign trays, compromising the results of their treatment. Additionally, standard braces may cost less than Invisalign; however, in most cases, the price is comparable, so you should receive a thorough evaluation and treatment estimate before making your decision.
Because Invisalign can often achieve the same effects as standard braces, your choice in treatment is largely up to you and your personal preferences.
The Advantages of Invisalign
In recent years, Invisalign has grown more and more popular, thanks to its many benefits. Invisalign is heralded because the treatments are:
- Removable: Although some patients may consider this a drawback, receiving a removable treatment means that you could enjoy all of your favorite foods without damaging your orthodontic appliance. It will also be much easier to clean your trays than to clean braces. As a result, food will not get trapped beneath, and you will have a lower risk for decay and dental stains.
- Discreet: Invisalign trays are very difficult to see, even when someone is standing right in front of you.
- Comfortable: Unlike the rough metal brackets used on braces, Invisalign trays are smooth and will not irritate your lips. Plus, they usually exert less force than braces, resulting in reduced discomfort.
- Timely: Standard braces will remain in place for about two years. In contrast, Invisalign usually takes between six and 18 months.
- Time-efficient: Clear aligners often require fewer trips to the dentist. You may only have to visit us about once every six weeks.
- Effective: The treatment can thoroughly enhance your smile and your overall appearance, making your self-confidence soar.
Determine the Most Appropriate Treatment for You
With multiple treatment options available, it is easier and convenient than ever to achieve your dream smile. Contact our office online or call (877) 481-8882 to schedule an orthodontic evaluation and receive answers to all your Invisalign questions.
"I've been very happy with my experiences at Dr. Stanislaus's office, and highly recommend him to anyone in the New York City area. He and his staff go above and beyond to do the best job possible."-R.B. (Patient)